Friday, December 30, 2011

Perfection with a Pom Pom



Tonight Raquel was having a hard time with her new "Pom Pom" maker..She got it for Christmas, from her Tia Nina. She got very frustrated because she couldn't get the pom pom to look right..Raquel is someone who thinks she can be perfect at everything...If she doesn't do it with perfection, or if she just can't do it then she gives up and gets very upset.. I can understand why she gets upset. Things come very easy for Raquel. She doesn't have to challenge herself very hard to be good at something..But when it's something new, and challenging then all hell breaks loose..
To make a long story short I was able(what felt like forever) to figure out how to make this pom pom maker work! 
I explained to Raquel that nobody is perfect. To be good at something you have to practice over and over again, until you're really good at it.. I believe she understood my explanations. I told her even her paintings and drawings have gotten better because of practicing all the time... I think she got it. But will she ever accept that being perfect is never going to happen.? I also told her that not being perfect is her new challenge. Accept the fact that not having perfection is ok and that we all have our flaws..


What makes a person feel they have to be perfect? Is it our society? Is it who we came to be because of so much praise from our peers, teachers, family? What do you think?  


I think praise should be a given no matter if we are great at something or not...In today's world kids feel that they have to be perfect because making mistakes makes them feel less of themselves..I know I have felt less of myself too many times..But how can we teach our children that it's ok to make mistakes, and to learn from them because it makes us stronger, and makes us who we become as an adult?.. I guess Raquel will have to face the fact that "Perfection" is not all what it's cracked up to be..

No comments: